Monday, April 6, 2009

Spring Break Pt. II

Well, I figured I better write about the rest of our spring break before it slips out of my mind. So where did I leave off...

Saturday, March 28th

Woke up feeling very refreshed at 9. We had breakfast at 9:15. The Olallieberry Inn has a full breakfast each morning, and boy is it delicious! There was banana nut bread, fresh fruit with olallieberry yogurt, and then the main meal. Unfortunately for me it was Santa Rosa Eggs so I skipped out (I hate eggs). But Brian says it was delicious!

So then it was off to see the Elephant Seals in San Simeon. They were so hilarious! There were a couple of big guys, and we learned that they weighed up to 5,000lbs. Most of the males were gone because they are still out at sea. Most of the elephant seals on the beach were females and weaned pups who were molting. They kept throwing sand on themselves and making funny noises. It was also very amusing to watch them "walk" on the sand. It was like watching giant caterpillars haha. Here's a big fat male and some of his friends:



Then we went to the Piedras Blancas lighthouse, but it was closed! Sigh. I guess you can only go visit it with a tour on certain days. So since we had extra time until we had to be at Hearst Castle we went to another beach where the elephant seals were. These ones were even more lively and funny. Some of the teenage males were play fighting in the shallow water. We watched other seals go out and come back in from the water. It is so weird to see such a graceful water animal be so clumsy on land. It was very funny to watch them get so huffy about things. It was like all the seals were stepping on each others toes and they would all get upset and start yelling at one another. Lots of seal drama.



Then it was time for Hearst Castle. If you don't know about this place I definitely recommend reading up; it was very interesting. William Randolph Hearst was also a very interesting person. Most of the pictures I took here didn't come out as well as I might have liked (the ones inside the Castle) because we weren't allowed to use our flash. But, what I saw was truly amazing. I mean, this guy built the first and only American Castle in the most beautiful spot I've ever seen. Here is the view from the Castle:



The thing that struck me the most was the indoor pool that had gold in it. The pool was drained because they are renovating it; it was the first time it had been drained in over 20 years so I thought that that was cool. We got a much better look at how deep it was and the intricacy of the tiling.



Anyway, you have to see the Castle for yourself. It's kind of indescribable.

So after Hearst Castle we went back to Cambria to go shopping around the town. We didn't actually buy anything but it was fun window shopping. Finally, we had dinner at Robin's. It was very yummy, and the service was excellent. I highly recommend it. Well, that was Saturday. And what a good day it was!

Part III to follow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment