Monday, April 27, 2009

Huntington Library

One of my gifts to Brian for his birthday was to take him to The Huntington Library. We decided to go this weekend (even though its closer to my house then Santa Barbara, where we were) because they had a special Lincoln exhibit that we both wanted to see. Lincoln is such an amazing person! I bought Brian a book called The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln for his birthday as a prelude to our visit, and he read it to me on the way to the Library. It's remarkable how smart and funny Lincoln truly was. Anyway, along with the Lincoln exhibit we saw many other things, but we still weren't able to see the whole place! We missed two whole art galleries! But we did manage to see most of the gardens.

Unfortunately, my camera battery died after only 16 pictures. Thank goodness I was able to get in the pictures of Lincoln. I took some pictures with my cell phone camera, but obviously those aren't the best quality. Here are the only pictures I have from our visit (they might take a bit to load):


This Bible was hand copied by monks! Everything is by hand, and its got gold in it!


Same for this lovely text.


This is only one of twelve copies left of the Gutenberg Bible on vellum. Amazing!


An unfinished map of the world. Look how big North America and South America are. Obviously cartographers still had more work to do.


Hamlet! My favorite play ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment