Thursday, May 26, 2011

Not Choosing Is Still A Choice

I'd like to link to a post by Colleen from Martin Family Moments in which she comments on an article about two parents in Canada who have chosen not to reveal the sex of their baby. I read this article a few days ago and was completely struck by the idiocy.

Colleen's post is here: http://martinfamilymoments.blogspot.com/2011/05/child-abuse.html

For a full article, click here.

Here was my comment on the post by Colleen:

My husband found this on yahoo a few days ago and it made me sad and confused.

Yes, I agree that we give everything in our culture a gender identification even when it's not necessary. I mean...why can girls only wear pink? Or why can't boys wear long hair? Why does everything have to be black and white (or in this case, pink or blue)?

But at what point are you turning your child into a social experiment to see if your ideas about gender in society are correct? Isn't our job as parents to give our children direction, and make the best decisions for them when they are unable?

Besides all that, how deplorable it is that they are encouraging their older children to engage in this scheme? What kind of message is it sending them?

CHILDREN ARE NOT SOCIAL EXPERIMENTS. THEY ARE BLESSINGS FROM GOD AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH.

No comments:

Post a Comment