Sunday, March 25, 2012

Happy 6th Birthday



Disclaimer: This is a crazy cat lady post. You have been warned.

On March 23 our cats turned 6 years old. Well, somewhere around March 23. You see, our cats were adopted, but not at a shelter. On March 27, 2006 (a little over a week after Brian asked me to be his girlfriend) a friend from college found out her boyfriend's step-dad had found two kittens at his construction site -- in a dumpster, believe it or not -- and he asked her if she knew anyone who had room for two cats?

I texted Brian half-jokingly if he wanted to adopt two cats, expecting him to say no (and knowing his mother would...he was still living at home then)...but his answer was an astounding yes. I went after school that day to meet the kitties for the first time. They were less than a week old, as they couldn't walk around yet, nor were their eyes open. The vet had guessed they were somewhere between 3 and 6 days old. Somehow, we ended up using March 23 as their birthday.

Cinder and Ella (as we ultimately decided on...yes we are Disney fans) were cared for by my friend's boyfriend's mom who worked at home. They had to be fed every 3 hours, and there were two of them! Sometimes I still can't believe that she worked so hard and loved them so much, and was willing to give them up to us. After my college classes, or after work, and almost every weekend, I went to the house and helped bottle feed and play with them. Brian came occasionally as well. Needless to say, I consider myself their Mommy, and feel so grateful to have them in my life!

Happy Belated Birthday to my two special furbabies! We love you!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet story! I'm a fellow crazy cat lady and VERY sad that I will be on my honeymoon during my cat's 10th birthday next month lol! I've already told my mom (who will be staying at my apartment for the week to catsit lol) that she has to take a picture of her on her bday for me.

    ReplyDelete