Monday, January 9, 2012

Slow Cooking: Enchilada Casserole

I love using my slow cooker, and I'm going to try and use it more often this year. I've got a lot of great cookbooks, but I've also been inspired by Stephanie O'Dea and her 365 Days of crockpot cooking.

Here's what I tried yesterday: Enchilada Casserole

I started by cooking two chicken breasts until they were tender, then used two forks to strip them into shredded chicken. Then I pretty much followed her recipe, except I didn't use olives because my husband vetoed that. I also pared down the recipe since it was just for Brian and I.

Close up of it all layered in the crockpot

My crockpot is a 6qt, so it looks small

And here is the result!

It may not look very pretty, but it was tasty. There are two things I would do different: I would use less sauce (I used a 24 ounce can of enchilada sauce, but I think I needed about half that) and more tortillas in layering. For some reason I used two tortillas on the bottom, but when I layered I only used one. So the tortilla kind of disintegrated and was invisible during consumption. Definitely should have used two tortillas for each layer. Oh, and more cheese. I only used cheddar, but I think I might use a mexican blend of cheese next time, and more of it.

Now I'm off to have some leftovers! Isn't that the BEST part of slow-cooking?

No comments:

Post a Comment