Saturday, August 15, 2009

Rome Trip Day 3

Day 3, or Saturday August 8th, was designated as our Vatican Day. We were going to do everything in the Vatican that there was to do. We started with Saint Peter's Basilica.

Outside St. Peter's.


Here is a member of the Swiss Guard. They are traditional mercenaries who guard the Pope. And they dress awesome.


Here is Michelangelo's Pietà


Here I am touching St. Peter's feet. I don't know why I look so sad. I was really excited! I think that's my pious Catholic woman face.


The Pope List.


A nice picture of the baldachino and altar where only the Pope may celebrate Mass.


One of the amazing altars in St. Peter's.


Here I am in all my glory.


And here we are in our sweaty glory together!


Then it was time for the Vatican Museums. This is one of the most important museums in the world. It's main claim to fame is the Sistine Chapel.

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to use cameras in this area. Nor were you allowed to use cameras in the crypt where the Popes are laid to rest...

...
...
...

I took videos with my camera in both places. C'mon people! I'm not shoving out $2K to get to Europe and then not take a photo! But for fear that the Pope's people will hunt me down, I'm not going to post it. Sorry folks.

Anyway, let's continue.

Here are the twin Santa Maria churches in Plaza del Popolo.


Here we are in the gardens above the Plaza.


We hung around here for awhile and walked in the park before heading home for another night of McDonald's. No wonder we haven't lost any weight despite all this walking! Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment