Thursday, August 27, 2009

Prague, Engagement Day

Well it's time to stop being lazy and write about our wonderful engagement in Prague, and our subsequent trip to Berlin. I'm having a problem deciding what kind of photo hosting I should use to upload my pictures. I can't stand using blogger anymore because it takes 10-15 minutes just to upload 5 pictures (you can only upload 5 at a time). Picasa is pretty good because you can sync the photos using Picasa 3 on your computer to the web, but the photo frames don't open into larger pictures when you click on them. I'm going to try using photobucket, but that has to load. So I'm going to write first and then add the pictures later!

Since our train to Nuremberg left at 6:00am, we had to get up quite early at 4:50, so Mom could drive us at 5:15. Thank God for Mama. She even made us little sandwiches to eat on the train. She's the best! So we were quite tired on the train. I can't remember if I slept or not. When we got to Nuremberg after 3 hours, we took a double-decker bus. This was awesome, because our EuroRail pass is 1st class, and the bottom of the bus is 1st class only, and no one else was there! Being 1st class also entitled us to one free hot beverage per person. Brian slept a little, and I think I did too.

Arriving in Prague was a bit confusing. We knew which trams we had to take to the hotel, but we didn't know where they were. And unlike Germany or Switzerland, most people do not speak English. After walking around for 10 minutes, a man offered to help us. Though he spoke very little English he did manage to guide us in the right direction. So, we got on the RIGHT tram but in the WRONG direction. It took us about 5 minutes to figure this out before we got off and turned around. Mind you we did all this with luggage, laptop bags, backpacks, and purses. FUN.

So we were a little tired after getting up so early and trying to find our way, but thank goodness the hotel was perfect. Somehow we lucked out and got a room on the backside of the hotel facing a hill, and we had a nice balcony. Very pleasant. So we rested there for a little bit before taking showers and getting ready for what would become our big evening!

Brian wanted to see a park that overlooks the city of Prague, so we took a little train up, much like the one we used in Switzerland. I took some pictures in the flower garden, and then we sat down at a little cafe to drink some cola. Then we went on our trek to find exactly what Brian was looking for. And what a trek it was! No matter where we walked we could not find this view, but finally we got to the Monastery, and the view was behind it. It just took about an hour, so we rested for a long time on a bench that was pretty secluded.

Now, I had pretty much had a "feeling" all day that he was going to propose, since he seemed a little nervous, was looking for a particular spot in the park, and kept looking around to see how many people there were. It was downright hilarious though, when he tried to get the ring out of his pocket because he had put it in his wallet. I had to feign blowing my nose and turning the other way just so he could manage to extract it. So cute. Finally, after waiting for months, he got down on one knee and made a little speech, and then asked me to marry him. I have no idea what he said though haha, I couldn't really think.

So, although Brian couldn't surprise me, I could surprise him. I had secretly slipped off the ring I normally wear on my ring finger, which he gave me for Valentine's day as a sort of promise ring, and had put it in my other hand. He was quite surprised when he went to remove the old ring and found it wasn't there! Hehe. I am much more subtle than my silly boyfriend...er, fiance. :D And then he picked me up and spun me around like the Princess that I am.

We took many pictures, enjoyed the view some more, and marveled in our happiness. Then it was off to a very romantic, EXPENSIVE dinner that was probably the best food I've ever eaten besides at Craftsteak in Las Vegas. I had duck, which I'd never had before, but I loved it. I also had rosemary creme brulee, which was delicious. The restaurant was on the top floor and we sat outside on the terrace surrounded by plants and flowers just under the nearby Castle. It was very romantic and peaceful, AND since it was a Tuesday night, no one was there. We practically had three waiters all to ourselves!

After dinner we concluded our lovely day/night by walking on the Charles Bridge. It was just what a Princess dreams of!

No comments:

Post a Comment