Saturday, August 15, 2009

Rome Trip Day 2

Day 2 was very labor intensive. I'm surprised my feet didn't fall off. Here are some of the amazing things we saw.

The chains St. Peter was bound in, located at San Pietro in Vincoli.


The famous statue of Moses by Michelangelo, also at San Pietro in Vincoli.


Basilica of St. John Lateran. The ceiling was made with the first gold brought back on the ships from America.


One of the many Egyptian obelisks imported to Rome by Emperor Hadrian. Seriously. There's one outside every important church.


Ok, I have to explain this picture. We saw three different types of these people in Rome. One was this guy, one was an Egyptian sarcophagus, and the other was a tin man. Basically they dress up from head to toe, paint their faces, and stand in the same position all day in hopes that you will give them a few coins. I'm poor so I just took pictures.


The Trevi Fountain.


The dome of the Pantheon. And some hooligans.


Outside the Pantheon.


Here is Largo di Torre Argentina, where four temples and Pompey's Theater now stands in ruins. It was on the steps of Pompey's Theater that Julius Caesar was killed.


The Spanish Steps.


Brian at the top of the Steps. Yes, he made me climb.


Here I am eating McDonald's. Next to an ancient Roman wall. In the underground train station. Did I mention that ancient Roman wall is in a McDonald's?


And so concludes Day 2, where we got to sleep in a really nice Hotel with AC that worked. Yay for the small things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment