Thursday, February 2, 2012

Weathering the Storm

Last Friday, I was laid off from my job.

My 12 weeks of job protected FMLA (Family & Medical Leave Act) expired, and my employer chose to terminate my contract with them since I am still not well enough to return.

I was expecting this.

When I was first diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (a subset of IBD, or Inflammatory Bowel Disease) in late May, I never thought it would affect my life the way it has. I try my hardest not to complain about having a chronic illness, because I know it could be so much worse. In the grand scheme of things, this is nothing. I can handle this.

I just never thought it would get this far...it's made me rethink all of our plans - especially starting a family. Forget the job, forget the money, forget the health problems, this thing has taken away my choice to have a baby. And that emotional pain hurts far more than IBD.

I'm not quite ready to get back to blogging, as my husband and I weather this storm of financial instability and medical issues. I just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening.

4 comments:

  1. Prayers that you and your doctor are able to get it under control so that you'll be happy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to comment to let you know that I feel your pain. Well more accurately, my husband does. We were married this past October and he has been struggling with severe Crohn's Disease (another IBD). He has been switching from medication to medication this past year trying to find something that will get his Crohn's under control. Like you, he has been unable to work and it has been very stressful for us. Luckily I do have a very good job but we also would like to start a family soon. I keep praying about it and encourage you to do the same. It is definitely not easy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm sure that must have been tough. I hope your doctor figures out a way to get you better soon.

    Prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, I'm so very sorry. I'm sorry about the job, but most of all that you are not well. I will be praying for you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

    Mandi

    ReplyDelete